Explore the happenings of the Asian Community in Duluth, Johns Creek, and Suwanee.

McDonald’s Stops Selling Bulgogi Burgers After Kids Fall Sick

Pedestrians pass by a McDonald’s branch in Seoul on Sunday.

McDonald’s halted sales of bulgogi burgers at 440 branches in Korea on Saturday over a food poisoning scare.

The decision came after seven elementary schoolchildren and their teacher complained of food poisoning symptoms after eating the novelty burgers at a branch in Jeonju, North Jeolla Province on Aug. 25.

One of the children had to be treated in hospital.

Health authorities have started investigating. The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Saturday took stool samples from the victims and launched an investigation to find out if there are other customers who experienced similar symptoms after eating burgers there.

In early August, the Korea Consumer Agency tested 38 kinds of burgers and found McDonald’s bulgogi burger was contaminated with staphylococcus aureus, which causes food poisoning. The level of the bacteria in the burger was 3.4 times higher than permissible.

“We sell 100,000 bulgogi burgers a day and 36 million a year nationwide. There had been no problem for the last 20 years,” a McDonald’s spokesman said. “We will do our best to identify the exact cause of the illness.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

%d bloggers like this: